May 10, 2010

First Mother's Day-- check!

So yesterday was my very first Mother's Day and it went quite well. My dad aptly dubbed it the best Mother's Day he'd ever had! I suppose I will have to come up with something on par for Father's Day since it's just around the corner.

We started out by giving the Camster a bath and dressing her in her Sunday best complete with coordinating hair accessories. Then (with sleepy baby in tow) we headed off to the grocery store to pick-up ingredients for special lamb kabobs... mmm. Our mouths were watering just reading the list! We also picked up some Spring mix salad, crumbled feta, pine nuts, and a vinaigrette to go with and also chibatta bread for a balanced plate. Look for the recipe below to enjoy your own batch of my Grammy's Lambys, or rather, Cami's Great-Grammy's Lambys! Or not. Either way.

Anywho- once the three of us arrived at my parents house Camster was bombarded with cameras like the damn paparazzi! Well... there were really only two cameras, but my mom was using that flash like there was no tomorrow.

All of the boys (Pops, Husband, and Brother#2) went outside to work on my brother's tow-trailer brake lights while us girls (myself, Camster, Mom, and Niece#2) stood around inside eating bread and hummus. Yummus! I'm in a bit of a rhyming mood today as you can tell. I'm actually waiting on Husband to bring home some truffles this very second, which are my secret addiction in addition to Columbia Candy Kitchen's Milk Chocolate Turtles, BUT I DIGRESS... So I gave my mom her present, a picture of me and Camster in a sweet Mother's Day frame. Needless to say, she loved it. Probably since it is so difficult for her to get a non-blurry picture of Camster and a non-tongue-sticking-out picture of me. What can I say? I'm 23 and still can't help but make silly faces in pictures.

We called the boys in once dinner was ready and everyone shuffled about washing up and grabbing last minute items for the table. The group started talking and got on the subject of the last time any of us had had kabobs. It had been a few years for most of us, but had been more like 10 years for either of my parents. How long has it been for you? Hopefully not a lengthy 10 years! That is an abomination to kabobs! BUT I DIGRESS... again...

A good meal was had by all and we finished up the evening with fruit topped mousse cake and the season finale of The Amazing Race (the cowboys should have won). I had never eaten mousse cake before and actually bought it thinking it was cheesecake. It reminds me of a thin angels food cake with tons of whipped cream. Pretty good! The perfect end to my first Mother's Day and my mother's 23rd Mother's Day. Love ya Mom! I hope you had a fantastic holiday and hats off to all ya baby mamas and the work you do!


Grammy's Lamby Kabobs (serves 6)

Combine in a bowl to marinate 4-5 hours:
3 lbs. lamb chopped into 1 inch cubes
1 cup red wine
1 medium yellow onion
1 teaspoon meat tenderizer
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon each of mint, rosemary, and oregano
1 handful of cilantro
Skewer together on greased skewers:
marinated lamb
3-4 orange or green bell peppers
4 yellow squash
white onion squares
cherry tomatoes
Brush with melted butter and grill for 15-20 minutes flipping kabobs half way through the cook time.

No comments:

Post a Comment