1-2 cups of flour
1/2 a roll of crepe paper/party streamers of any color
1 newspaper cut into 1" wide strips
Scrap paper for eyes, wings, and beak
1. Tape your two balloons together to form the owl's head and body.
2. Mix together your flour and water until it is watery-er (technical term) than pancake batter. If it is too thin, it won't stick as well.
3. Dip the newspaper strips into to mixture and then wipe it off again between your fingers. The newspaper should be thoroughly wet, but not soggy.
4. (ignore the tube of glue. It's just being used to keep Mr. Owl from rolling off the table) Arrange your newspaper strips on the balloons being sure to link the two balloons together.
5. Continue to paper mâché until you have at least 3 good layers on it. Let it dry thoroughly.... maybe a full day or two.
6. Cut strips of crepe paper and then fringe the bottom half. It's easier if you stack up many layers before you fringe it.
7. Starting from the bottom of the piñata, make a line across the body with glue. Then lay your crepe paper across it tacking it down well.
--continue on to part 2