February 16, 2011

Readin' Babes Series :: part 1

Readin' babes

Around the time Camster was born, my mother-in-law sent me a book called How To Teach Your Baby To Read. I never really looked at it or thought about it until I was cleaning out Camster's room the other day. It was quite the feat. Bagging up old clothes, rearranging furniture, reassembling her bookshelf... and there it was.
So sitting there on the floor I decided to read it. I was impressed. All of the ideas and suggestions and steps made sense. Then I thought, 'why am I not teaching my baby to read?'
I've seen and heard about those infomercials on TV claiming to do the same thing, and they may, but honestly-- who wants to pay $300 dollars for something that seems like a TV sham? Not me. How about $20 on a book that tells you all the steps and tips to do it yourself? Okay.

Let's do it together!
First go get the book at your local bookstore or Amazon: How To Teach Your Baby To Read by Glenn Doman and Janet Doman, Square One Publishers 2006.


Read the whole thing. Yep! The WHOLE thing. It's a quick read I promise. This way you will know all of the steps before we start and you won't get caught short-handed on supplies.

Let's begin at the beginning. The ground rules:
1. The best time to teach is when your you and your child are happy and in good form.
2. Never teach when your child is upset, hungry, or tired.
3. Always stop before your child wants to stop.
4. Always be "joyous" while teaching.
5. Your child doesn't need to stare at the cards. They absorb information instantly. You also do not need to repeat the word when showing the card.

Also, your child's interest and enthusiasm for reading will be based on these three things:
1. The speed at which materials are shown.
2. The amount of new material.
3. The "joyous" manner of YOU.

Now get reading!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment