June 6, 2010

Breastfeeding in Public

I am proud of being able to nurse and sustain my child by breastfeeding, but unfortunately it is not the norm in America. Don't get me wrong, breastfeeding is not right for everyone and I'm not on my way to a "breast is best" rant. I am simply feeling at odds with the general public. The majority of adults and almost all children haven't been around a nursing mother and therefore don't know how to act. To be fair, I was one of those people.

For those of you who do breastfeed in public- do you end up feeling inappropriate? I have been lucky enough to have a supportive family in this new world, but I can't help but feel like the people around me don't know what to do with me. Do they sit down and continue the conversation as usual.. Or do they sit three tables away until I'm finished? Do they give a "good job" nod.. Or do they shove their nose in a magazine for a few minutes? I personally rather people go about business as usual.

It just seems that the lack of exposure (no pun intended) to breastfeeding mothers in America has made us as a people unprepared for these situations. What have been your experiences as either the feeder or the friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment