July 30, 2010

Garden Love

Being a "stay at home" mom, I hate staying home. Sometimes you just have to get out and see the world. I'm not sure going to my parent's house classifies as seeing the world, but what are ya gunna do? For the last two months my parents have been working on a huge garden and lately it has been producing food ready to pick. It is full of crookneck squash, kale, lettuce, eggplant (why is it called that again?!), cucumber, green peppers, turnips, radishes, carrots, beets, watermelon, cantaloupe, and blueberries. I'm sure I've forgotten some things, but as you can tell from that list, it is a substantially large garden.

Yesterday when Camster and I ventured over to visit, Pops was out picking various veggies for lunch. I used my handy-dandy iPad to search Epicurious for some turnip recipes since there was an abundance of ripe turnips. Do you use the term "ripe" for roots? Anywho- we discovered that you can eat turnip greens too! Who knew? Here is what we came up with for lunch entirely out of the homegrown garden... With the exception of the butter and garlic salt. It was delish!

Delicious Garden Love
Serves two very hungry people

2 medium turnips chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
2 cups of turnip greens, chopped
1 cup of kale, chopped
2 yellow crookneck squash, sliced
1 tbsp butter
A pinch of garlic salt (substitute with minced garlic if possible)

Heat a large fry pan on medium and add the butter. Once melted, toss in the chopped turnips and garlic salt and sauté until slightly golden brown. Add the squash and continue to fry the mixture for roughly 2 minutes. Add the turnip greens and kale. Cover and reduce heat to simmer until leaves look wilted. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment